Skip to content

Expression without words.

Graphic Designers exist “to communicate ideas that inspire, inform, and captivate consumers.”Our job is to communicate, and if we can manage that it means we did our job correctly. Have you ever tried communicating a message solely through visual means? It’s harder than it seems. Communication solely through visual means might seem difficult at first, but it is doable.As designers we are used to using text to communicate a message. However, the more you practice, the easier it is to communicate a message through visual means. Understanding the principles and elements of design is a key factor. The more a designer understands and uses the principles, the better he/She will be. Once the elements and principles of design are utilized properly creativity can grow. Which is why graphic designer Daniel Carlmatz took it as personal challenge to design everyday words as logos for a year. Some of the logotypes he created are so clever, you need to look twice. Take a look at some of his best logos and let me know which one is your favorite.

7 Comments

1. sficarro wrote:

This is such a cleaver use of typography. I really love the innovative and creative nature of this work. It shoes a great use of design. This designer clearly thinks about all aspects of the design and how to best utilize the spaces created between the letters. This is inspiring thanks for sharing.

Friday, April 27, 2018 at 12:13 pm | Permalink
  2. arahma12 wrote:

This figure/ground play in the typography is indeed amazing. As simple as they look, the designs definitely do look like they took years of planning and thought to execute them in this manner. Thanks for writing this post, absolutely an enjoyable read.

Friday, April 27, 2018 at 4:58 pm | Permalink
  3. jabella wrote:

I love this idea and know that a lot of careful thought went into his project. Maybe it’s just me, but I had to really look at some of the negative space to get it. I had to look at castle for a while to realize the image was in the negative space rather than the letterforms. Does their effectiveness decrease because I and potentially other viewers couldn’t get it right away? Or am I just a dingus?

Friday, April 27, 2018 at 5:43 pm | Permalink
  4. jkohorst wrote:

I think this design challenge is clever and a great exercise for innovative and visual thinking. The use of the space between the characters to make imagery is sleek and minimal. This reminds me of the letterform and noun project for Quigley!

Friday, April 27, 2018 at 5:57 pm | Permalink
  5. rb wrote:

This manipulation of negative space is really cool. I especially like how it incorporates a fundamental aspect of design – the use of positive and negative space – in a very concise manner.

Friday, April 27, 2018 at 8:19 pm | Permalink
  6. bscott15 wrote:

I am a big fan of using negative space in design. I am a massive fan of Noma Bar. You need to go and check his work out. I have tried to incorporate negative space in my designs a couple of times without success.

Sunday, April 29, 2018 at 7:41 am | Permalink
  7. amilstei wrote:

That is a really interesting idea! I wonder if I should be coming up with more personal challenges to practice design skills like this. I’d actually be interested in someone collating daily exercises like these these into a guide!

Sunday, April 29, 2018 at 8:00 pm | Permalink