Skip to content

Bigger Phones, Bigger Pockets

Technology in recent years has been rapidly advancing, not just with specs but also in design. The cell phones that people own have been getting progressively larger with each year. Apple is a prime example of this occurrence with their frequent change in design biyearly.  From the iPhone 4 all the way to the new iteration of the iPhone XS and XS MAX there is a drastic difference in size. The iPhone 4 can fit with the screen of the XS!

Now where do you store these huge phones? As a response to the increasingly larger cell phones over the years, jeans manufactures have increased the size of their pockets. In order to compensate for the phone sizes, companies like Levi’s have made their pockets much deeper and wider so that people can comfortably store their phone.

Manufactures have adjusted their designs to simply things like this to guarantee customer satisfaction with their products. Companies like Levi’s make many different variations of jeans of every sized so that it best fits the wearer. However, now they don’t just account for the person wearing the jeans but also what the person is carrying. No one likes to have small pockets, especially ones that don’t fit their phones. People also don’t like having pockets that are too tight to easily get their phones out either. Pocket design has become an underrated aspect our daily life. Without the size of pockets, we have today, people wouldn’t want a large phone because it wouldn’t fit in their pockets.

7 Comments

1. galakeel wrote:

I think a good design is to be able to keep up with people necessity and to see what they will need ahead of the time.

Sunday, September 30, 2018 at 4:57 pm | Permalink
  2. ycao21 wrote:

I noticed the same thing, I work at a retail store, over the years I found that not only the jeans pockets are getting deeper and wider, the pockets for jackets are the same way, but I have to disagree with you on people wouldn’t want bigger phones without bigger pockets, now days we do almost everything on our phone, the small screens are just not working out, even the size of the jean packets stay the same size, people would still buying bigger phones, the size of our phones forced the fashion industry to change but not the other way around.

Sunday, September 30, 2018 at 5:49 pm | Permalink
  3. ikoroma wrote:

The fact that I cannot fit my phone in my pant pockets anymore is one of my absolutely biggest pet peeves. Gone are the days of the iPhone 5s, the perfect phone size that fits comfortably in my front and back pocket! I appreciate that pockets are getting bigger to accommodate our larger size phones, but it is not exactly comfortable to fit a 9-inch phone in my jeans pockets.

Sunday, September 30, 2018 at 5:51 pm | Permalink
  4. jcarlos wrote:

This is such an interesting phenomenon! But I must say, I thrift most of my clothing– especially my jeans–and my IPhone 8 plus doesn’t really appreciate that. I am grateful that a life-saving fashion design piece is coming back… The fanny pack. That innovative product gets the job done for me!

Sunday, September 30, 2018 at 7:39 pm | Permalink
  5. kreategu wrote:

I did not notice about it. But, you are right, nowadays people are buying bigger phones and I feel like they need a jean with a pocket that their cell phones can fit in there.

Sunday, September 30, 2018 at 11:18 pm | Permalink
  6. nzheng wrote:

I always put my phone in my back pocket because in women’s jeans the front pockets are almost nonexistent. The front pockets of women jeans are so so small, like what is the point of it being there if it is that small. I’ve always liked bigger phones so I hope they put some thought into women jeans and make the pockets bigger.

Sunday, October 7, 2018 at 11:58 am | Permalink
  7. abasurto wrote:

I do have some trouble with my phone in my pockets. The iPhone 4 and 5 I didn’t have a problem but now I have a 6s and taking out the phone from my pocket is annoying. I think its a good move for clothing manufacturers to make bigger pockets for bigger phones

Thursday, November 29, 2018 at 5:02 pm | Permalink