Dieter Rams is a German industrial designer who is famous for many innovative products. He is one of the greatest designers in the late 20th century by defining an elegant and clean. He worked as a head of design at German consumer electronics manufacturer, Braun until 1995. He designed coffee makers, calculators, radios, and many other consumer appliance products. His designs were enduring that he concerned about minimalism, honesty, and environment. He came up with the following 10 principles for good design.
These ten principles defined Dieter Rams’ approach to “good design”.
• Good design is innovative
• Good design makes a product useful
• Good design is aesthetic
• Good design makes a product understandable
• Good design is unobtrusive
• Good design is honest
• Good design is long-lasting
• Good design is thorough down to the last detail
• Good design is environmentally friendly
• Good design is as little design as possible
Copyright Dieter Rams, amended March 2003 and October 2009
His objective was to design useful products that are easy to operate. Young designers like Jonathan Ive and Jasper Morrison who worked at Apple and Rowenta were inspired by him.